Vietnamese Coconut Pancakes with Smoked Salmon
- Difficulty: Medium
- Serves: 4
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Rate this recipe
- 200g of Regal Cold Smoked Salmon
- 1 cup of mung beans
- 12 baby cos lettuce leaves
- 1/2 a cucumber, julienned
- 1/2 a red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of fresh mint, or Vietnamese mint leaves
- 1/2 a cup of fresh coriander leaves
- 1 cup of rice flour
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 cup of cold water
- 1 1/3 cup of coconut milk
- oil, for frying
- 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon of garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon of chilli, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of water
- 1 lime, juice only
- 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger, grated
Sift flour and turmeric into a large bowl. Add the cold water and coconut milk and whisk until smooth. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine all dipping sauce ingredients and set aside.
Pour a generous glug of oil into a large non-stick frypan. Bring to medium heat and pour a ladleful of pancake batter into the pan. Swirl it around until evenly spread. Fry for 4 minutes or until golden and crisp, carefully flip and cook for a further 2 - 3 minutes. If the pancake isn’t crisp before flipping, it will fall apart.
Fill pancake with mung beans and Regal King Smoked Salmon. Serve alongside lettuce, fresh herbs and cucumber and sliced red onion.
Traditionally, filled pancakes are cut into slices, placed in the centre of a large lettuce leaf, topped with herbs, then rolled up and dipped in chilli sauce.