Regal Hot Smoked Salmon with Beetroot Relish, Salsa Verde, and Mint Basil Mayo.
- 1kg beetroot, Peeled
- 400gm onion
- 2Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- Pinch chilli flakes
- 1 Cup sugar
- ¾ Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ Cup orange, Juice
- 1/3 Cup olive oil
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Mint and Basil mayonnaise
- 1 ½ Cup mayonnaise, (preferably homemade)
- 1/2 Cup basil leaves, (packed tightly)
- 1/2 Cup mint Leaves, (packed tightly)
- 1 Green capsicum, finely diced
- 1/4 Cup shallots, finely diced
- 1/2 Tbl garlic, finely minced
- 2 Tbl capers, finely minced
- 1/3 Cup gherkins, finely minced
- 1 Tbl Anchovies, finely minced (optional)
- 1/3 Cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 Cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/4 Cup basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 Tbl tarragon, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, Zest
- 2 Tbl lemon juice
- 1/2 Cup olive oil, Lemon or Regular Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tbl sugar
Slice beetroot into thin matchsticks. Half onions, slice with the grain as thin as possible.
Take a heavy bottom saucepan, add the beetroot and onion. Top with fresh thyme, chili flakes, sugar, balsamic vinegar and orange juice.
Place on medium to low heat and stir occasionally. Cook for approximately two hours or until the beetroot is cooked through and the liquid has reduced to a syrup.
Remove from the heat, stir in olive oil, season with flaky sea salt and fresh black pepper. Refrigerate or preserve in a sterile sealed jar.
Mint and Basil Mayonnaise
Blend half a cup of mayonnaise, fresh basil, and mint until smooth. Add the remainder of the mayonnaise and fold through. Refrigerate until required.
Place all the ingredients in a bowl, season with flaky sea salt and fresh black pepper. Add lemon to taste. Refrigerate until required.
Plating and Serving
Preheat oven to 160 degrees. With a sharp knife cut the smoked salmon portions into 100gm pieces. Place on a lined ovenware dish, skin side down. Place in the oven for 8 mins or until the salmon is heated through.
To plate gently remove salmon skin and discard. Place a quarter cup of beetroot relish, top with the warm salmon. Spoon over mayonnaise and Salsa Verde and finish with a wedge of lemon.