Salmon Flatbreads With Whipped Soft Cows Cheese Recipe
- Difficulty: Medium
- Serves: 4
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Rate this recipe
- 2 x 3.5oz packs of Regal Manuka Smoked Salmon
- 7oz of Soft Cow Cheese , at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon of capers
- 2 tablespoons of fresh chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of fresh dill, chopped
- cracked pepper
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
Quick Pickled Onions:
- 1/2 cup of apple cider or white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 red onion red onion, thinly sliced
Homemade Flatbreads (substitute: store-bought flatbread or pita):
- 9.2 oz of plain flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 7.2oz of plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil, plus extra for frying
In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, caster sugar and salt. Bring to a simmer then remove from heat. Place the thinly sliced red onion in a jar or bowl and pour over the hot vinegar. Cover and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the yogurt and olive oil and mix until well incorporated. On a lightly floured bench top or in the stand of a mixer, knead the dough for 6-8 minutes until smooth. Divide the dough into 4 or 5 balls portions and shape into balls. Place on a lined baking tray and cover with a tea towel for 15 minutes.
On a lightly floured surface, roll flatbreads out in circles roughly 1/8 inch thick. Brush each side with olive oil.
Fry flatbreads in a griddle or cast iron plan over a high heat. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes on each side or until browning.
Using a hand beater or whisk, beat the soft cows cheese until smooth and creamy.
Smear a generous spoonful of the whipped cheese on to each flatbread. Top with Regal salmon slices, pickled onions, capers, fresh herbs. Season with salt and pepper and serve with wedges of lemon.