Easter Breakfast! Regal Wood Roasted Salmon & Kumara Cakes
- Difficulty: Medium
- Serves: 4
- Preparation time:
- Cooking time:
Rate this recipe
- 7oz of Regal Wood Roasted Salmon
- 2 sweet potatoes, large, peeled and chopped into 2cm cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, skins left on
- 1oz of butter
- 3.4oz of milk
- 4 tablespoons of plain flour
- 1 tablespoon of fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh chives, chopped
- ½ teaspoon cracked pepper
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 egg, whisked
- ½ cup of plain flour
- 1 cup of panko crumbs
- 5oz of rice bran oil, or vegetable oil
Place sweet potato and garlic in a large pot of salted water and bring to the boil. Cook sweet potato for 15 minutes or until soft when a fork is inserted. Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
Remove the garlic cloves from their skins and add back into the cooked sweet potato along with the butter and milk. Mash the sweet potato until fluffy and all lumps have been removed. Mix in the flour, herbs, pepper and salt. Then add the flaked Regal King smoked salmon and fold through.
Divide the mixture into 6 - 8 balls and flatten slightly. Coat in flour, then whisked egg and finally panko crumbs.
Heat oil over a medium heat, drop a few panko crumbs into the oil, if it begins to sizzle, the oil is hot enough to start frying. Fry Regal salmon cakes in batches for 3 - 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on a tray lined with paper towels.
Cakes are great served with a green salad or poached eggs.